Growing up, one is always told to get a good education to get a good job. But being taught how to find one’s passion isn’t always on the curriculum. For Vanessa Sanchez, StarCentral’s Beauty Guru of the Month for June 2016, it was one of life’s curveballs that helped finally push her to follow her heart – “It wasn’t until I found myself unable to find a job that I took the chance on myself and decided to follow my passion in beauty and makeup…I’ve always been interested in art. Because makeup is a form of art I feel like it came natural to me and I enjoy it so much!”
After moving back to Dallas, Texas, Vanessa (who is a proud military wife) started her YouTube channel and her business, ‘Makeup by Vanessa’ was born. “I started advertising myself and really putting my business out there on social media. That and referrals from my family and friends have really made the difference…” Such is her success in the world of beauty that in 2011, “I had the opportunity to do hair and makeup for an independent film. It was an amazing experience. I even have the call sheet framed…”
Sharing her love for makeup (it “gives everyone a chance to be themselves, to show their uniqueness and express individuality…”) on social media has truly enabled the Hispanic beauty guru to reach out to others and she’s learned how interesting her fans are – “They all come from different places, different backgrounds and it’s so cool to see all that. I hope to one day meet them all…” While a lot of her feedback has been positive, it’s inevitable that there will be those who are less appreciative. “People are going to love you and people are going to hate you. You can’t please everyone. You have to learn to take the good with the bad. Everything happens for a reason. The most important thing is to be myself and be happy. When you’re happy the little things don’t matter…”
A constant source of happiness for the loving mother and talented cook is her family – “I am so blessed to say that my family supports me 1000%…my parents and sister are very happy that I have found something that I enjoy, that I love to do and that I’m happy…” The 32-year old is constantly motivated by her husband who “has sacrificed for me to do what I love and I want to make sure that he sees that I appreciate it and I want to make him proud…” Her daughter loves to watch her videos “when I’m done uploading before I make them public. She likes to laugh at my facial expressions…”
Vanessa Sanchez has many plans in mind for her growing business. “I would love to start offering group and one-on-one classes to teach others what I know about makeup. I just started my Mary Kay business recently and my goal is to become a director and share the amazing things it has to offer with other women…” Owning her first home and being able to travel more are also on her wish list but most of all, show most desires to be an example for her daughter – “One thing that I want my daughter to learn from what I do is like the saying says “Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life!” I want to teach her to follow her dreams, to never give up and that the sky is the limit!”
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. What is the one beauty product you can’t live without? Mascara!!!! It makes such a difference!
2. What is the most dramatic thing you’ve ever done to change your looks? I bleached my hair once to go blonde! Actually twice, the second time I put temporary hair dye so I could wear any color of the rainbow if I wanted to. It was purple and red for a few months. I loved it!
3. What is in your makeup bag when you travel? Way too much stuff!!!! I always carry my skin care, at least 3-4 foundations, concealer, powder, bronzer, blush, 4-5 highlighting powders, 3-4 eye shadow palettes, mascara, eyeliner, lashes, brow products, lipstick and glosses, at least 5! I can’t leave the house without a setting spray!
4. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? My nose. It has a little bump and almost looks like I had surgery but I think it’s a cute little nose.
5. Your best guilty pleasure… Spa days. I love to be pampered.