Even if you’ve been hiding under a rock, you would know that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have teamed up, once again, to create an epic 3D version of the classic Alice in Wonderland tale. The colours, style and all-round craziness of the film has sent fashion-experts into overdrive over clothing-inspired trends created from inspiration from the film.
The ‘Alice in Wonderland’ trend isn’t for the faint of heart. It is for the confident fashion guru, who wears what they want without fear of other people’s criticisms. Here’s how it’s done:
- crazy accesories: the more colourful, the more layered, the more clashing, the better. Think cute top hats, crazy ribbons through your hair, giant watches and necklaces with those little clocks as pendants. Accesorise with plenty of gold rings, bracelets and even a little crown, if your aiming to represent the Queen of Hearts!
- floral dresses: use Alice as inspiration for this one, and invest in a cute dress that you would wear to a picnic. Floral is always on trend, but try something new like polka dots or bold colours if you’ve already ventured into floral territory. Don’t forget about petticoats…the more girly your dress, the better!
- lace: if something is embvellished with lace, buy it! Dresses are more likely to be teamed with lace this season for a more feminine edges, while lace shoes and even lace accesoires like chokers and headbands are also hitting the shelves. Stick to softer pastel colours like peach and baby blue.
- black and white: it’s time to have fun with colour. Team a bold black and white frock with plenty of crazy colured accesories. This trend is not about matching! Make things clash, and have fun with it. Wear a black dress and bold red lips for instant ‘Queen of Hearts’ cool.
- hearts: heart rings, heart pendants, heart prints on clothes…anything with the symbol of a heart embedded on it is a must. Make it clash with polka dots and stripes. Mix and match, and go outside your comfort zone! It really is all about having fun with fashion, and experimenting with looks you never usually would.
- girly: it’s all about girly looks with this trend. Think tutu skirts, layered frills, ballet pumps and pinks, purples and blues. Don’t forget to go crazy with cup cakes and tea (even if it’s jewellery inspired by the ‘tea party’ trend)!
So there you have it. Alice in Wonderland isn’t only a classic tale of a girl lost in a bright fanatsy world. It’s a source of fashion inspiration! And an excuse to break numerous fashion rules. Go for it!