Instagram has been one of the most influential social media sites today, and it became a stepping stone for StarCentral Magazine’s Fashionista of the Month for May 2014, Mallory Gayo. The Filipino stylist belongs to the list of the most followed fashion enthusiasts on the social media site, and has been making a name for herself through it.
Ever since she was eight years old, Mallory has always had a liking for fashion. She remembers she would draw dresses on her school notebook, and put a few outfits here and there. Her interest later on turned into a hobby, which continues until now.
While currently working as a nurse, she started blogging on Instagram, and incorporated her fondness for style and fashion. She was fascinated by the myriad of possibilities that clothes can be styled, and how one person can look different with a variety of outfits.
So what keeps this artistic nurse inspired? Aside from her keen eye for anything chic, she finds her fellow fashionistas on Instagram motivating. Being around people with a kindred spirit can definitely give you the strength to try something that may seem impossible for others.
Mallory does not really consider what she does as a career. She enjoys it a lot, but it is more of a hobby for her right now. However, she is open to the idea of making it a serious deal in the future and maybe, gets a job in the fashion industry. And, I think that nothing can be more fulfilling than being able to do something that you truly love.
The fashionista did not only turn heads on Instagram but also on the runway when she was invited as to attend the House of Roxie Boutique Fashion show. She admits it was quite an exhilarating experience, and definitely, one of the most memorable.
She has also had the chance to meet a lot of interesting people in the industry like Desean Mills, CEO for OOTN Magazine, an online community dedicated to highlighting real-life fashion from real-life people around the world. She narrates that she met him on Instagram and later on had the chance to work with him. During her time with OOTN Magazine, she had witnessed how her boss had worked so hard to achieve where he is now. Mills recently opened his first OOTN Magazine storefront in Minnesota. To her, it is quite admirable to see people overcome struggles, and come out triumphant in the end.
Moreover, the fashionista has a soft heart for older people. She reveals that when she lost her grandfather five years ago, she regrets that she never got to tell him how much she cared for him. It taught her to value the people she loves, and never take them for granted. Whenever she would get the chance to nurse a senior, she would be reminded about her grandfather. Being their caregiver gives her the opportunity to show how much she loves him even if he is no longer with her.
Family is very important to Mallory, who she informs us have been very supportive of her. She maintains a very close relationship with her parents, siblings, and even with her cousins. She recounts how her brother would always take the time to take her pictures for her Instagram account, which she greatly appreciates. Her parents have been nothing but motivating in her hobby, and would sometimes joke around with her to make her feel that they got her back.
Currently, Mallory is only a few months away in getting her vocational nursing license. She is thankful that she is able to do things she enjoys the most, which is helping people. Nursing allows her to heal people while fashion gives her the chance to help people appreciate who they are.
‘LIGHTNING FAST’ Round:
1. What is the one beauty product you can’t live without? My eyebrow kit, hahahaha! Eyebrows make the face.
2. What is the most dramatic thing you’ve ever done to change your looks? Losing more than 35lbs. I still can’t believe I did it, but anything is possible if you work hard for it.
3. What is in your makeup bag when you travel? My chapstick, my makeup foundation, a nice lipstick shade, my eyebrow kit & mascara.
4. What is the one “flaw” you wouldn’t change about yourself? I wouldn’t change how my body looks. I love my curves and no matter how much I’ll try to lose weight, I wouldn’t want to lose too much because I don’t want to look like everyone else. I love my curves and I flaunt it well. I’ve been curvy all my life, I wouldn’t want to change it for the world.
5. My best guilty pleasure My best guilty pleasure is ice cream! I always crave ice cream, matter of fact I’m craving for it right now. Especially the mint chocolate chip gelato ice cream I got in my freezer.
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/missmallorybby