Ever witnessed a tanning disaster? Orange hands, streaky legs and a body that doesn’t quite match the face – we’ve seen it all before. Avoid a tanning tizzy and follow these five steps for a natural and even tan at home.
Five steps to tan perfection:
Exfoliation primes your skin by removing the top dead layer of skin. No one want dead skin cells (gross) hanging around when they are about to apply a tanning product. Not only does exfoliation prep your skin for an even application it also prolongs the life of your tan. Gentle exfoliation can be achieved with exfoliating mitts and a body scrub. When using the gloves and the scrub massage lightly over the entire body. Exfoliate 24 hours before applying your tan.
2. Barrier Cream
Barrier cream is essential for avoid tanning mishaps. Tans can look unnatural applied on elbows, wrists, armpits and ankles/feet. Dirty looking elbows and armpits? No thanks. Apply barrier cream to these areas before applying your tanning product to ensure the tan has a natural gradual lightening on your extremities.
3. Natural looking tanning product
There are a variety of different DIY tans on the market. Sometimes one can get a little lost in the tanning aisle of the supermarket – after all, which does what? There are the instant tanners that wash off in the shower (one wear application). There are gradual tanners (tanning moisturisers) – you need to apply these a few times in a week and as the name suggests they achieve a gradual and generally natural result. And there are the regular tanning products that should produce a golden bronze tan in just one application.
4. Tanning mitt
Tanning mitts allow for even distribution of tanning products as well as keeping hands tan free. There is nothing worse than having “orange paws” – especially when you don’t wipe the tan of properly and it settles in the creases of your fingers. Not a good look! Avoid the issue all together and apply your product on to skin and then buff with the mitt.
Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. There really is nothing else to do to keep your tan looking fresh for days after the initial application. Body Butters are great and body lotions also do the job quite well. Look for emollient ingredients (natural oils) that nourish the skin and protect it from flaky. A flaky tan is never fabulous.
Check out the Five top products for an easy natural glow:
1. Model Co Tan Prep Body Polish – RRP $24.00. Benefits: Micro salt products remove dead skin cells and old tanning residue, ph levels are optimised. Visit: www.modelco.com.au
2. Fauldings Barrier Cream – RRP $8.99. Benefits: Inexpensive way to mask tan overload on tricky areas of the body. Visit: http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au
3. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Natural Bronze Body Lotion– RRP $12.95. Benefits: Natural colour, no-sticky, gradual and pleasant smelling. Keeps you hydrated and tanned all-in-one. Visit: http://www.palmersaustralia.com
4. St Tropez Tanning Mitt – RRP $ 11.99. Benefits: Protect your hands and achieve an even finish from top-to-toe. Visit: http://www.priceline.com.au
5. Body Shop Coconut Body Butter – RRP $27.95 Benefits: Beautifully scented all time favourite for all-over hydration. Visit: http://www.thebodyshop.com.au
So get your glow on! No Oompa Loompas here x